I’m on social media a good bit, and one of the things I’m seeing more and more of is lists of affirmations. These are things that are supposed to help us when we believe these truths about ourselves.
The problem with most of these is that they’re based in MY strength and ability. If I’ve learned anything this year, it’s that without God, there’s no making it through.
Thankfully, I don’t have to walk this life relying on my own abilities. God is with me—through the good times and the bad ones.
So I decided to come up with my own list—specifically for writers—to help us focus on God and what He’s doing in us and through us. We deal with insecurity, fear, trust, doubt, discouragement, and weariness. I’ve tried to include verses that pertain to all of these things.
It has been a huge blessing to me to pull this together, and I hope this list is a blessing to you as well.
1. For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Ephesians 2:10
2. May the kindness of the Lord our God be upon us; and confirm for us the work of our hands: Yes, confirm the work of our hands. Psalm 90:17
3. for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. Romans 11:29
4. Yet those who wait for the Lord Will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary. Isaiah 40:31
5. For it is God who is working in you, enabling you both to desire and to work out His good purpose. Philippians 2:13
6. When I am afraid, I will trust in You. Psalm 56:3
7. Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically, as something done for the Lord and not for men, Colossians 3:23
8. Wait for the Lord; Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the Lord. Psalm 27:14
9. Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found trustworthy. 1 Corinthians 4:2
10. ‘Call to Me and I will answer you, and I will tell you great and mighty things, which you do not know.’ Jeremiah 33:
11. Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
12. The Lord will also be a stronghold for the oppressed, A stronghold in times of trouble; And those who know Your name will put their trust in You, For You, Lord, have not abandoned those who seek You. Psalm 9:9-10
13. And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28
14. Write therefore the things that you have seen, those that are and those that are to take place after this. Revelation 1:19
15. But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently. Romans 8:25
16. The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” Deuteronomy 31:8
17. I can do all this through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13
18. Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually! 1 Chronicles 16:11
19. And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9
20. Then the Lord answered me and said, “Write down the vision And inscribe it clearly on tablets, So that one who reads it may run. Habakkuk 2:2
21. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
22. If you keep silent at this time, liberation and deliverance will come to the Jewish people from another place, but you and your father’s house will be destroyed. Who knows, perhaps you have come to your royal position for such a time as this.” Esther 4:14
23. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 2 Corinthians 12:9
24. “Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel: Write in a book all the words that I have spoken to you. Jeremiah 30:2
25. being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, Colossians 1:11
26. For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to giveyou hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
27. For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work [a]among you will complete it by the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6
28. Commit your works to the Lord, And your plans will be established. Proverbs 16:3
29. for we walk by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7
30. A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord determines his steps. Proverbs 16:9
31. Now faith is the certainty of things hoped for, a proof of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1